Sea views add financial value
A recent survey by Rightmove concluded that homes with a sea view command an average of £68,000 more (an impressive 29%) than similar homes without a view of the ocean. The survey looked at all properties for sale under £1 million in seaside towns across mainland Britain and found that the average asking price for a sea view is £304,702, compared with £236,070 for a home without one. On average, just under one in 10 homes in the seaside towns analysed by Rightmove had a sea view, with the lack of availability driving up property prices. In the South West, being close to the water offers access to some of the incredible coastal amenities that add so much to our quality of life here – surfing beaches, yacht clubs, and some of the best pubs and restaurants in the country. Homes in these types of locations remain a solid long-term investment.
Sea views add physical value
Investing in a property near the beach isn’t just good for your wallet – it has a positive impact on your health and wellbeing too. Researchers have found that seeing water promotes wellness and relaxation by inducing a flood of neurochemicals that increase the flow of blood to the brain and heart. The sound of waves lapping against the shore also helps to create a relaxed, meditative state, healing and strengthening the brain.
Other health benefits of being near a beach include:
- Improved physical fitness – walking on sand works muscles harder than walking on a flat surface, and swimming in the sea is great physical exercise.
- Stronger immune system – microorganisms in seawater produce antibacterial and antibiotic effects that boost your immune system.
- Better circulation – swimming in the sea improves overall blood circulation due to the high mineral content.
- Happier mood – sea air has negative ions that contain mood-enhancing properties and reduce depression levels.
- Sociable environment – whether enjoying a coastal walk with a friend, getting together for a family BBQ, or joining a yoga class on the beach, living by the coast offers numerous opportunities for strengthening social support networks.
Lillicrap Chilcott offers some of the finest waterfront homes in Cornwall, many of which have private foreshore access and mooring availability. Contact us today for more information.